This delicious Vegan Malt Loaf is a sticky treat that’s a perfect healthy snack. The ideal pairing for your afternoon tea or great on its own or with a Vegan butter spread onto a slice. This homemade recipe will beat the shop brought one every time!
Prep time: 10
Cook time: 50
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf – 6 thick slices):
- 120 ml strong black tea
- 160 g malt extract
- Juice of ½ lemon
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 170g dried mixed fruit
- 220g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 150°C and lightly grease a lined loaf tin.
- Place the malt extract, dark brown sugar, lemon juice, salt and tea into a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir well to combine. Stir in the dried fruits, then
pour in the wet mix. Combine with a spatula, then transfer the mix into the prepared loaf tin.
- Transfer the tin to the oven and bake at 150°C for 40 minutes, then cover with kitchen foil and bake
for 10 more minutes, or until the loaf is done and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow for the loaf to cool down for at least 30 minutes, before removing from the loaf tin and slicing.
Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)