Simnel cake is a fruitcake traditionally eaten in the UK at Easter time. Our twist on this classic recipe is a cupcake as opposed to a cake decorated in a layer of homemade marzipan. The recipe produces 12 perfect cakes to enjoy any time, especially Easter with a cup of tea! And don’t forget you can buy your ingredients here at Grape Tree, click here for Easter opening hours.
Ingredients (Makes 12 cupcakes)
- 300g premium mixed fruit
- 50g mixed peel
- 50g glace cherries, chopped
- 250g white self raising flour
- 150g coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- zest of an orange
- 75ml rapeseed oil
- 2 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 200ml water
- juice of 1 orange
- Juice of half a lemon
- 300g ground almonds
- 10 pitted dates soaked if needed
- Add ground almonds into a food processor / blender and add the pitted dates.
- Run on high speed until the ground almonds and dates are turned into a nice and slightly sticky marzipan. Cover the marzipan and keep it in the fridge until you need it.
- Place the dried fruit, mixed peel, and chopped glace cherries in a bowl with the juice of the orange and ½ lemon and soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F /gas mark 3) and line a cupcake tray with 12 paper cases.
- Mix all the dry ingredients including the orange zest together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix the wet ingredients and then pour them into the dry ingredient mix. Fold in the dried fruit and mix well.
- Distribute the mix evenly between the 12 cupcakes cases and then bake in the oven. After 30 minutes of baking cover the cupcake tray with foil to prevent the tops from burning.
- Bake for a further 15mins or until done. After 45mins insert skewer into the centre of a cupcake which should come out clean.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, roll the marzipan into a thin layer, and cut 12 circles for the top of the cupcakes.
- Gently smooth the discs of marzipan on to the top of each one and enjoy!